LiveJournal: When the LJ abuse prevention team become the abusers, who will protect the LJ users?

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Instances of LJ Abuse in action

A case of the absurdity of LJ abuse's "invasion of privacy" definition and LJ Abuse needing some lawyers on the team.

LiveJournal is a safe haven for racist trolls, and you can taunt people about their being raped and infected with HIV without the abuse team enforcing the terms of service against you... But if you post any personal information about someone that they themselves continue to publish on their own web site, your account will be yanked without notice.

It's not the decision that my comment should be deleted that I am objecting to. It's the disproportionate response, the dishonesty of the TOS not reflecting actual policy, and the selective enforcement of the TOS to favor freeloading racist trolls over people who actually contribute positively to LiveJournal, both in terms of content and in terms of actually paying for the service! I also disagree with the bogus justifications that are being made for the decision; if the real reason for deleting the comment is (say) that they're scared of possible liability if someone takes the guy up on his repeated offers and beats the crap out of him, then they should just say that and put a suitable clause in the TOS and not keep coming up with after-the-fact rationalizations.

Another case of LJ Abuse’s kangaroo-court tactics. This story chronicles numerous lies and contradictions from the LJ abuse team.

I've largely ignored him, but last week he made a posting to a site external to LJ and closely associated with my professional work, claiming that I was a "SATANIST" and a child molester. He also helpfully made an anonymous posting to my journal to make sure I was aware of what he'd done. I commented on this posting in my own LJ, and was suspended for it. LJ Abuse refuses to even take the anonymous postings' IP addresses (collected by their own system!) into consideration when "investigating" this.

In the meantime, he's still setting up sockpuppets, purely for the purposes of harassment and abuse, and will undoubtedly continue to do so. LJ Abuse is well aware of his activities, and has been for years.

I don't see why my "permanent" account, with three and a half years worth of postings and comments was deleted, nor do I understand why I cannot even mention slanderous allegations made against me on a site external to Livejournal.

By suspending my journal, LJ Abuse has done away with my ability to access the anonymous comments from the instigator of all this, ensuring that it's effectively impossible for me to pursue either an abuse complaint to his ISP or legal action for defamation.


Another example of the raving insanity of LJ Abuse's invasion of privacy rulings - you're not allowed to credit someone for legal fair use of their copyright material!

I quoted him for reasons of commentary as allowed under fair-use laws. The only way to credit him for his quote was to copy the username as shown on photo.net. Mr. Dowling chose to make his username his full name. I simply quoted his post for purposes of commentary.

He posted his name in a public forum, and I am allowed, under fair-use to quote him. Because there is no way to link to an individual comment on photo.net, the only way to properly credit the quote is to also quote the username of the person making the statement.


Send your story to abuse.lj.abuse@gmail.com

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job, keep it coming.

People also should know that Anyone from LJ abuse can read all your private entries (without any reason)

1:05 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

OMFG I CAN'T USE MY LJ ANYMORE MY EFFING LIFE IS OVAR!!!!!!

<lj-cut-wrists>

2:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

god forbid that a commercial company should be expected to be run with any kind of professionalism eh?

12:54 PM

 
Anonymous RF said...

LJ abuse has been so shit for such a long time, I don't think LJ will ever do anything about it. The majority of users don't get affected by it so they don't see it and don't care. Well keep up the good work.

2:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

+ 1

6:05 PM

 
Anonymous C said...

I know some people I think will send you their stories. I'll pass your link along.

7:44 PM

 
Anonymous Stone Mirror said...

I was pretty astounded at the lack of not only professionalism, but even simple _coordination_. I had the "manager" of LJ Abuse directly contradict things his minions had told me not once, but twice...

8:42 PM

 
Blogger cdaae13 said...

Stone mirror: what was the name of this "manager"? The only manager I know is a she, Denise Paloucci. And she needs to be fired.

I will most definitely be putting together something to submit to this blog.

-cdaae13/yellow_finch

1:47 PM

 
Anonymous Stone Mirror said...

Mark Ferrell.

9:07 PM

 
Blogger Christine D said...

One of these cases is being discussed in abuse_lj_abuse atm, btw.

I've had contradictory information, and a whole lot of bullshit, from the LJ Abuse team too. I have some stuff about it on my blogspot. I'm not allowed to link to my blogspot anywhere on LJ though, because apparently outside links (which LJ Abuse always says don't count and they don't consider) DO count in certain special circumstances you don't know about until you fall foul of them.

I seriously doubt the competence of an abuse team which mistakenly suspends other people's journals because they think they're the same person as someone else based purely on similar usernames. And they say two people have to approve such action!

5:46 PM

 
Anonymous Honesty said...

I seriously doubt the competence of an abuse team which mistakenly suspends other people's journals because they think they're the same person as someone else based purely on similar usernames. And they say two people have to approve such action!

AMEN on that!

8:35 PM

 
Anonymous Jeff said...

We need an LJ revolution

9:38 AM

 
Anonymous Rose said...

Tes but google's blogger is a hyaven for

3:18 PM

 
Anonymous Rose said...

Darn Typoes.

Google's blogger is a haven for Trolls and Pedophiles too.

3:19 PM

 
Anonymous Rose said...

Darn Typoes.

Google's blogger is a haven for Trolls and Pedophiles too.

3:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home