LiveJournal: When the LJ abuse prevention team become the abusers, who will protect the LJ users?

Monday, May 29, 2006

Quick update

Major thanks to Christine for joining the team and updating over the weekend and I hope you all had a good Memorial Day. The LJ Abuse team have been rocking it up in Las Vegas we hear!

Not all of them I guess as they're sending out warnings to users for icons they are not even using. Spot the difference.

This post from The Snow in Summer is well worth reading with a summary of why the writer left LiveJournal that includes interesting commentary about how Six Apart has "violated the letter and spirit of the social contract between myself and Livejournal. That was the community I joined in 2003, those were the written community rules, ones that could only be changed with the majority consent of the community. But we forgot that corporateamerica knows no honour, only profit. Six Apart is a profit-seeking company, not a benevolent dictatorship. By acting in this dishonourable way, Six Apart kills its own society, kills its own source of riches, kills its own future."

I also had an email with a suspension notice I haven't seen before. "Your journal exists solely to disrupt the LiveJournal service."

The user asked "Please define 'disrupts the LiveJournal service.' It was a source of entertainment for myself and many others."

Noah on LJ abuse wrote back "Upon receiving a complaint regarding your account, we reviewed it. The entire content of the account consisted of marquees, extremely large images, flashing text and entries solely intented to harass other users. While the first three of these items are not violations in and of themselves, their use in nearly every entry and the general content and tone of the entries is sufficient evidence for the Abuse Team to make a determination that the account was not being used for any legitimate purpose."

We've seen before that what the Abuse Team calls harassing often isn't, and this user believes that maybe having an entry that called Michelle on the abuse team "incompetent" had something to do with their suspension.

Tags: , , ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FROM A FRIENDS JOURNAL

"Dear user,

I have reviewed the image in question, and cannot find any violations of the Terms of Service present. Generally, in order for an image to qualify as being inappropriate for default use, it must show the nipple or areola region of a female breast, the genitalia region, be sexually explicit, or be otherwise graphic.

I am unable to agree with your assessment that the image in question contains any visible nipple; the image depicts a female wearing a sports bra, and does not have any visible nipple or areola visible. As such, it is considered an acceptable default userpic.

Regards,
Mark Ferrell
Manager, LiveJournal Abuse Team"

The image in question?
http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/36613586/218581
Yeah, they say that because that's the icon of the head of the abuse team.

My response:

"Excuse me, I quite disagree. Colouring it blue does not disguise the fact that there is a prominent nipple there. I had to look closely to even realize that it had been poorly edited to include a "sports bra". Making it as transparent as it is is hardly sufficient.

If you're going to uphold standards on LiveJournal, uphold them CONSISTENTLY."

I am awaiting a response.

2:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to comment with a marquee but I can't. :(

3:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet the Vegas entry will go locked....

So I and copying and pasting it here in case.

"Hanging out in Vegas with the Livejournal Abuse Team. Lyssa, Jen (a fellow LJer), and I were all shoeboxed into my Celica for 8 hours to get here, and we've been rewarded with two rooms in the MGM for the night. More people shall arrive tonight, and tomorrow we make a pilgrimage to the rented house for the week. Surprisingly, I'm still sober! I don't know what I'm going to do with myself for a week in Vegas. Last time I was here during finals week on my 21st birthday and was kind of rushed. NOW I get to relish in it for a while. I get to meet a fuckton of cool people, and Livejournal is paying for the housing"

4:28 PM

 
Blogger cdaae13 said...

The icon belonging to the head of the abuse team is rahaeli's, in case anyone was wondering.

I am definitely seeing more nipple in her icon than in the link to "Spot the difference."

4:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! My LJ DOLLARS ARE FUNDING ROOMS AT THE MGM GRAND!

p.s. Someone should screencap that entry before it's locked.

4:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have reviewed the image in question, and cannot find any violations of the Terms of Service present.
That reply and the Vegas post is quite obviously their way to let us know they're laughing their asses out at as.

I so wish I had never paid for my account.

5:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in 2002, I stumbled across the journal of some guy who calls himself "amenlover". too religious right for me, but whatever, I moved on. Five days after that, I came across the community "amenhaters". CLEARLY a hate community. so I reported it. What does abuse tell me? They supposedly "know" that "amenlover" is a sockpuppet.

And this was BEFORE SixApart ever thought of taking over Livejournal.

I have seen friends constantly harass, their children's pictures defaced by members of the childfree foaming-at-the-mouth types, and LJ Abuse, before and after the SixApart takeover, has done nothing to these users breaking the rules.

6:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rahaeli is an ass kissing whore.

6:59 PM

 
Anonymous RF said...

In case of deletion screencap here.

7:04 PM

 
Anonymous Sio @ LJ said...

if RF loses his/her screencap, I have one also.

7:05 PM

 
Anonymous Arisa said...

So because it's not significant to LJ, it's not significant to the user? Fuck that.

Of course, it probably wasn't. But that's not for the abuse team to decide. No one was being forced to view the annoying journal. Why suspend it?

8:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... The guy who went to Vegas is a member of the childfree community.

8:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what? Believe it or not, all the big evil mean scary childfree people are not out to get you. Some of them even agree with you, if you'd get off the witch-hunt long enough to notice.

9:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know the kid's real name or if he has anything to do with the icon controversy. I just thought it worth notng.

Though by using lines like "Childfree means that you do not want children -- now or ever." and "If you are a parent or a fan of kids..." in their userinfo; Membership could demonstrate a certain mindset and possibly a willingness to dismiss the views of others. I don't know, but it is worth noting, nonetheless.

9:43 AM

 
Blogger cdaae13 said...

lol, the Vegas post hasn't been deleted, but comments have been screened.

10:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The comments in his journal are always screened unless the poster is on his friends list. What an odd and bizarre concept.

11:40 AM

 
Blogger Christine D said...

I don't want want children, now or ever, but as you can tell I'm entirely on the boob nazi's side.

1:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There were comments there when I saw it yesterday, I guess he's screened them all now.

BTW not all childfree people are cf_hardcore material!

2:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL to whoever reported rahaeli's icon!!

3:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, if a bunch of us were to copy that image (http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/36613586/218581) and make it our own default image before reporting each other....

10:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home